WHEREAS, the labor movement is founded in the powerful understanding that solidarity with all peoples who struggle for respect, dignity, civic courage, and social justice enhances all lives and sustains the environment we all share, and
WHEREAS, we recognize that there is no economic justice without racial justice, and that we have a duty to stand with cultures that have experienced genocide, loss of place, forced removal, and further extraction of wealth from their communities, and
WHEREAS, the Labor Coalition for Community Action, which includes the A. Phillip Randolph Institute, the Asian Pacific American Labor Alliance, the Coalition of Black Trade Unionists, the Coalition of Labor Union Women, the Labor Council for Latin American Advancement, and Pride at Work, rises in solidarity with the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe and its supporters against the Dakota Access Pipeline (DAPL) to protect treaty rights and preserve sacred lands from exploitation by corporations and the U.S. government.
THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED THAT SEIU Local 284 stands with Standing Rock as they protect their community, their land and their water, and condemns the desecration of ancestral burial grounds and other sacred places of the Standing Rock Sioux tribe, and
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED THAT SEIU Local 284 encourages our members to take action to support Standing Rock, and
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED THAT SEIU Local 284 condemns the University of Minnesota’s use of Fredrickson & Byron for legal consulting in anti-union activity, the same law firm defending the Dakota Access LCC company that relocated the Dakota Pipeline.
Passed by the SEIU Local 284 Executive Board on Thursday, September 22, 2016.
Our union strength comes from members being involved and active in their local bargaining unit, community and contributing to the education of students. We are now taking nominations for:
SEIU Local 284
2018 Member of the Year
2018 MEMBER OF THE YEAR INFORMATION
• Member of the Year is open to all SEIU Local 284 Members.
• Candidates must be nominated by a member or members or one can nominate
• Candidates must provide an outstanding contribution to the education of students as
well as being involved in their union and community.
• The 2018 Member of the Year will be recognized at the SEIU Local 284 Leadership in February
• Nominations are due by Monday, January 2, 2018.
• Nomination forms can be obtained by calling Terri 651.256.9110 at the Union office or download here.
President Keith Niemi swears in Carol Borreson as a new of the Executive Board as a Member at Large.
There were no contested seats – election results are as follows.
* President = Keith Niemi
* 2nd Vice President = Anna Angeles Farris
* Trustee = Amanda Reineck
* Member at Large = Michael Sylvester
* Member at Large = Bob Cook
* Sergeant at Arms = Cynthia Gross
All officers were sworn in 10/24/15 at the general membership meeting.
Register to win a $50 gift card and an SEIU Local 284 goodie bag! Register by 11/13/15.
Register to win a $50 gift card and an SEIU Local 284 goodie bag! Enter by 11/13/15.
The SEIU Local 284 democratic process to elect a President (3 year term), 2nd Vice President (1 year term), Trustee (3 year term), 2 Members at Large (3 year term) and Sergeant at Arms (3 year term), is about to begin. An Election Committee will oversee the election.
Nominations will be accepted at the October 24, 2015 Leadership Assembly during the General Membership Union Meeting. Any nominee who is unopposed shall be deemed elected without the necessity for further procedures. If there is more than one nominee, election shall be by secret mail ballot.
1. October 24, 2015 – Nominations accepted at General Membership Union meeting of SEIU Local 284 If no contested seats all officers will be sworn in and no further action is needed
2. October 26, 2015 at 4pm – Candidate Profiles due for any contested seats
3. October 29, 2015 – Ballot’s mailed to all Members **Only if any seats are contested – Mail Ballot Procedure
4. November 18, 2015 at 3pm – All ballots returned by U.S. MAIL and received by the Bureau of Mediation Services will be picked up **Only if any seats are contested – Mail Ballot Procedure
5. November 18, 2015 at 4pm – All ballots will be opened and tallied at SEIU Local 284, 450 Southview Blvd, So St Paul, MN 55075 **Only if any seats are contested – Mail Ballot Procedure
6. November 18, 2015 at 6:30pm – General Membership Meeting, Announcement of elected officers and swearing in. **Only if any seats are contested
SEIU Local 284 Officer Nominations
Article V, Section 2-Any nominee who is unopposed shall be deemed elected without the necessity for further procedures.
Article V, Section 5- No member shall be eligible for nomination or election to the office of Trustee or Member-At-Large unless the member is actively employed under a collective bargaining agreement in Local 284’s jurisdiction at the time of the election. Any member may be nominated and elected to the office of Executive Director, President, Vice President….No member shall be eligible for nomination or election as an officer in this Local Union unless he or she has been a member two (2) years immediately preceding the nomination and continuously in good standing of this Local Union and is paying at least the minimum dues required for working members.
Do you know an SEIU brother or sister who really goes out of their way—for their community, their fellow brothers and sisters, or their students! If so, here is what we need you to do. Or if you’re that person just follow these simple steps.
* Fill out the form:
*Send to: SEIU Local 284, 450 Southview Blvd, South St Paul MN 55075
Fax to- 651-256-9119
* Deadline for forms to be in the office is October 31, 2015, or postmarked by October 31, 2015.
*The nominee will be mailed a letter informing them of their nomination along with section 5 to be completed. This letter will go out the first week in November. The information will need to be returned to the office NO LATER THAN November 28, 2015.
*Sometime in the first two weeks of December the nominees will meet with a committee to be interviewed
*The top 3 candidates will be announced at the Leadership Assembly on February 20, 2016
*The winner of the nomination selection will be going to the White House in May (TBA).